Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let's talk about lighting...

Lighting...let's see...lighting is difficult in a hair salon. There are so many factors to consider. You NEED to be able to see clearly when you cut, so you do need some spot type of action going on. Another thing is that when doing haircolor you need to see the true color. You don't want it to look warmer than it really is (the client can freak if she sees too much "red".) On the other hand if you have flourescents it can make the color and the client look green!  Too bright it can blind you, too dark you can't see. Oh yeah, another thing is heat! Those little tiny bright halogens are HOT!! So what's a girl to do? I have no idea so I'm just going to go with what LOOKS good! Lol!

So here is what I've found-I've got mirrors that need sconces (see before post for the pictures of salon) so these look super cool to me. Can't decide though do I go with single or double? What does everyone think? And I am also going to do track lighting across the salon, hope I can find something that looks the part...



Here's the double one, but I would have it in chrome-

 

2 comments:

  1. Kat, Re: lighting, before you invest, you may want to check w/an electrician to find out how many-I think the term is-candles-are recommended for a salon. I worked at an underlit salon once and when the owner (finally!) got an electrician in to put in addt'l lighting he explained to me how they have an actual guideline of sorts for what how much lighting is recommended for different work situations-you might find that helpful. I love your fixtures-and yes, I def think they go w/your retro Vegas theme. Also, I have mixed 'knobs and drawer pulls' as I also, wanted to used different ones I liked. You just have to make sure you're keeping some sort of pattern or consistancy that's harmonious-you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the advice, I will def. check out how much lighting I need. :)

    ReplyDelete