Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chairs, new and redone...

Seeing how the salon is close to being done I think I'd better get posting!

I wanted to tell about my chairs. I have these super cool electric styling chairs in the salon. So instead of pumping the chair up and down with your foot, all you do is touch a pedal with your foot and it goes way up and goes way down. These chairs are so great for tall or short people or for doing highlights on the top of someone's head or for doing very short people. I've never worked in a slon with them but they are worth having!
So anyway the problem with these chairs is that one was GOLD and the other was GRAY. Dear lord they looked bad. So I decided to spray the chairs with vinyl spray to make them black. I went to Home Depot and they sold me the cans and told me how to do it. So I sprayed the gold one first and it looked GORGEOUS! It was super shiney looking. Very sticky. Next day, still sticky. (mind you I had to warn everyone who came in not to get near it...) next day, still sticky...and so on and so on. Long story short, NEVER DRIED! Never. They had sold me PLASTIC spray instead of vinyl spray :( Soooooo, I had to take all the paint off with paint thinner and get the right spray (matte this time instead of super shiney). Here's the before and afters, they turned out great! (finally)

Before picture, obviously...

Here's the after-



Sooooooo much better, don't you agree?


So I also had to find chairs for the "reception" area and I wanted Mid Century Modern style. I know I'd seen them in the past at all the antique stores so I wasn't worried. I found a pair of bright blue Danish Modern chairs at Atomic Bazaar on Park Blvd. (LOVE this place!) Silly me though they were TOO blue to go with turquoise walls. Kept searching finding only VERY expensive chairs so I went back to Atomic Bazaar and of course they were GONE! Lucky for me though someone had put a deposit on another set and ended up not wanting them after all! Brandon the owner called and said they were available and even brought them over to me! Yay, these chairs are so comfortable and cool looking, I'm so glad I could get them! Here they are-

Don't you just LOVE them?? I do!

Okay, enough for now, next post is the horrible gold counter top....

2 comments:

  1. wow, that was a ton of work! did it take long to get the original paint off? they look great! you're making your dream come true-I love watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie I love the chairs!!!! They look great! I am SOOOO happy for you and can't wait to see the salon when I get back in 2012 :) lol!

    ReplyDelete